The number of people listening to podcasts in Nigeria is on a steady rise. What are podcasts? Podcasts are audio shows spread out over episodes based on a single theme or set of themes, but there is always a focus. There is a podcast for everyone- from food, to comedy, film, music, history, random life events etc. Podcasts are a great way to listen to engaging shows while in commute, working or just idling away.
Here are our favorite podcast channels within and outside Nigeria you should subscribe to
- Loose Talk podcast-This is probably the most popular podcast station in Nigeria. It is hosted by Ayomide Tayo, Osagie Alonge and Steve Dede. The Podcast is focused on the issues in the Nigerian music industry. One of the most popular shows they’ve ever had was with rap star, MI Abaga.
- The top 12 countdown– This podcast is by the talented singer, producer Cobhams Asuquo. It is focused on music in Nigeria. Cobhams do quizzes and giveaways regularly on his podcast
- Stuff Mom Never Told You– This podcast is focused on women and the issues they face all though history and presently. It is hosted by Emilie Aries and Bridget Todd. Stuff Mom Never Told you doesn’t just discuss issues, they also proffer solutions to the most common problems women face.
- Voice Notes Episode– This is a very engaging podcast hosted by Desola and Pemi. The podcast ‘explores the intimacy of the voice note based on various topics.’ What is unique about this podcast is that the hosts, pick a topic for the month and invite listeners to contribute by sending 1minute voice note on the topic. It is always so enlightening to hear various opinions and thoughts on the chosen topic.
- Millennial– the title of this podcast gives a correct idea what it is about, millennial. It is an independently produced podcast created by Megan Tan that focuses on all millennial issues.
- The TED Hour– There is literarily a Ted talk on every topic these days. The TED podcast, is like its video counterpart only it is audio. You can listen to amazing thoughts and opinions on human issues as you go about your day.
- New Yorker Podcast – is a treat for book lovers! This podcast is hosted by New Yorker editor, Deborah Treisman. Every month, an author who has been published in the New Yorker is invited to read a short story from the archives of the magazine, and discuss. It is an opportunity to listen to authors and discuss some of the best short stories.
Share you stories with us