12 Effective Ways To Handle Stress
Effective ways to do away with bad stress
Most people can easily point out what triggers their stress response as well as the things that bring them to relaxation. However, there are times that even after identifying stressors, you might still find it a tad difficult to walk away from these issues or may be confused as to how to handle the situation.
Here are some simple steps that can help you deal with and eliminate stress:
- Identify the stressor and try to either eliminate or at least minimize it.
- If you don’t have any close relationships or your relationships are the source of your stress, make it a priority to build stronger and more satisfying connections. It is amazing how a simple face-to-face talk with another person can trigger hormones that relieve stress when you are feeling agitated or insecure. Even a brief exchange of kind words or a friendly look from another person can soothe your nervous system or calm your jitters.
- Listen to soothing music. Some sounds or music relaxes you naturally and depending on your choice of relaxing music, listen to something that practically gives you some sort of peaceful disposition. Talking about peaceful disposition, you might want to avoid at this point songs that make you moody or with lyrics that provoke any kind of negative vibes since the aim is to relax.
- Engaging your sense of movement like dancing (slow or fast to a song that makes you excited and joyful. You can also take a walk (stroll) or around a serene environment or go jogging or hit the gym especially if your stress is not triggered by a physical activity.
- Physical contact or stimulation can also help you relax. Do not underestimate the power of a simple touch. Hugging a loved one, snuggling in a furry blanket, petting an animal can help you physically relax. You can touch things up a notch (pun intended) with a good massage if you are so inclined!
- Put your sight to good use like watching something uplifting or funny like funny viral videos/ comedies.
- Reading is also good if it is fun for you. Get a good book and relax with it. Rest and sleep is always a good idea.
- Get enough rest and sleep to avoid burning out although, you should not also lie in bed all day (thereby isolating yourself) except it’s the doctor’s prescription. Lengthy isolation can work things backward instead of forward.
- Hanging out with your best friends or loved ones and having a good chat and goofy moment is a real plus. It can help you forget your problems for a while and enjoy the moment.
- Eat healthy and fresh foods and avoiding filling junks (i.e processed foods). Happy foods like chocolates and ice cream are nice but should not be done in excess to avoid unhealthy weight gains.
- Work on your thoughts and avoid any form of negative thinking. Dwell on lifting, wholesome thoughts. Think about happy memories and meditate on things that give you a good feeling. Make sure to dwell on positive vibes as this helps you to unwind.
- Finally, find your ‘happy place’ i.e things that make you feel awesome and stay there. It’s a known fact that feeling good de-stresses you and keeps you relaxed.
So get intentional about your life and get de-stressed to live a healthier and full life. A stress-free life is a happy life!