Ronaldo de Assis Moreira popularly known as Ronaldinho has retired from football. The World Cup, Ballon d’Or and Champions League winner who enchanted every football fan announced his retirement on Tuesday 16th January, 2018 through his agent-brother Roberto de Assis “He has stopped, it is ended,” Assis said.
Till date, many label him a magician and king of dribbling while some just label him as the best player of all time because of his trickery, blind passes, skills and dribbles. Ronaldinho is no doubt a player that everybody loves to watch. More to it was his trade mark snake-bite dribble which was one piece of skill that held everyone in awe.
It will be difficult to forget his long range free kick against England at the 2002 World Cup quarter-final. Ronaldinho certainly made footballing easy with his quick feet, unique hair style and smiling facial expression. He was a nightmare to defenders and goal keepers all through his career.
The 38 year old star started his career with Gremio in Brazil before moving to Paris St-Germain in 2001. He joined Barcelona afterwards where he won two La Liga titles and a Champions League trophy. He also had a spell at AC Milan where he won the Serie A title in 2010-11. He later moved to Brazilian side Flamengo in 2011 before spells at Atletico Mineiro, Queretaro in Mexico and Fluminense.
Below are facts about the legendary Ronaldinho
- Ronaldo de Assis Moreira was born on March 21st, 1980
- Ronaldinho at the age of 13 he played a match where he scored 23 goals in his team’s 23-0 victory. This event caught the attention of the media
- He loves to play as an attacking midfielder or forward.
- He is married to Janaína Mendes who is Brazilian dancer
- He was given the nickname “Ronaldinho” at age 8 because he was the youngest and smallest player in his club. The name tag also helped the 2002 world cup squad which also involved Ronaldo de Lima as there would have been two Ronaldos on the pitch
- He won the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2004 and 2005 and champions league in
- His Nike advertisement in 2005 was the first video on Youtube to crack 1 million views.
- He has received only 3 red cards
- He is one of the World’s highest paid players
- His involvement in the famous Pepsi Coca-Cola Controversy. His contract with Coca Cola was terminated after he was caught drinking Pepsi during a Press conference
- He won the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2004 and 2005
- He became a Spanish citizen in January 2007
- In 2011, Ronaldinho joined forces with the United Nations to educate the public about AIDS